The Week to Week News Quiz for 2/9/18
The shutdown's dead! Long live the shutdown! Said no one ever. Celebrate by taking the latest Week to Week News Quiz.
Here are some random but real hints: Faith healing; it also cures your troublesome skinniness; they should have sued the Electoral College instead; and get out of the animal house. Answers are below the quiz.
1. On Wednesday, Rep. Nancy Pelosi spoke on the House floor for about 8 hours, making it the longest continuous speech in the House since at least what year?
2. Rob Porter resigned from his job this week after allegations of domestic abuse. Who is Rob Porter?
a. The head of Amazon Studios
b. Nancy Pelosi's speech writer
c. The White House staff secretary
d. Wall Street's top-earning investment banker
3. Texas evangelist Gloria Copeland, a member of President Trump's faith advisory council, said her followers are inoculated by Jesus against what?
a. The flu
b. Negative emotional energy
4. The Nashville city council will set up a special committee to investigate travel and expenses of whom?
a. Country singer and "Public Face of Nashville" Dolly Parton
b. Nashville's mayor, who admitted an affair with a security aide
c. The executive director of the publicly funded Grand Ole Opry
d. Every staff member working with members of the Nashville city council
5. Space fans rejoiced this week at SpaceX's launch of a giant new rocket named what?
a. Falcon Heavy
c. Atlas 20b
d. The Shatnerizer
6. Japanese scientists think they have discovered the key to ending baldness. What is it?
a. Heavily concentrated Shoyu ramen broth
b. Increased ingestion of Vitamin D
c. A chemical used in McDonald's french fries
d. Raw tuna
7. Mercedes-Benz apologized "for hurting the feelings" of the people of China because of an Instagram post that quoted whom?
a. The Dalai Lama
b. Chairman Mao
c. Chiang Kai-shek
d. The first Chinese emperor, Chin Shi Huang
8. This year's Gerber Baby, selected out of 140,000 submissions, is the first Gerber Baby with what characteristic?
a. The baby is male
b. The baby is Asian
c. The baby is a refugee
d. The baby has Down Syndrome
9. On Tuesday, an appeals court in San Francisco approved a $25 million settlement for whom?
a. Students suing Trump University
b. The family of a woman killed by an undocumented immigrant
c. A former Black Panther leader who was assaulted by a county supervisor
d. Former Mayor Willie Brown
10. The distinguished Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Art in Switzerland is going to begin offering a degree in what Swiss specialty?
a. Chocolate making
d. Thrift and hard work
11. What did former Trump aide Omarosa say about the White House?
a. "Not my circus, not my monkeys"
b. "Why all the shouting? Why all the saluting all the time?"
c. She was "too scared to disagree with the president" for fear of being made ambassador to Moscow
d. It "made my heart glad. It is filled with innocence, hope and good cheer. It is also wickedly funny and exciting as hell."
BONUS. After only 18 years in business, Twitter finally did what for the first time?
a. Set up an official Facebook page
b. Made a profit
c. Laid off its first employee
d. Gave its employees a raise
BONUS. b ("d" comes from the late Roger Ebert's review of E.T. The Extraterrestrial).
One more question: Want the live news quiz experience? Join us on Monday, March 12, when we’ll discuss the latest and biggest political developments in our next lively Week to Week political roundtable, complete with a news quiz (and chocolate prizes!) and a social hour at The Commonwealth Club of California. Panelists include the San Francisco Chronicle's Joe Garofoli.
Explanations of the hints: Faith healing: Copeland said "Jesus himself gave us the flu shot"; it also cures your troublesome skinniness: they found it in a chemical used to make McDonald's fries; they should have sued the Electoral College instead: it was for students who felt ripped off by Trump and his self-named university; and get out of the animal house: in an appearance on a reality TV show, Omarosa cried and decried life in the White House, but said it's "not my circus, not my monkeys."
Test photo by: Ryan McGilchrist.