Programs Manager: Featured Events
Position Title: Programs Manager: Featured Events
Reports to: Vice President of Programs
Location: Bay Area; remote work flexible, some onsite work required, including evening events
About The Commonwealth Club
The Commonwealth Club of California is the largest public issues forum in the United States and is a nonpartisan, nonprofit membership organization. It is the leader in its field both nationally and internationally with a fast-paced, lively and stimulating environment and a range of fascinating and informative people and ideas. The Club hosts daily in-person, online and hybrid programs that include lectures, panel discussions, roundtables and special events to promote civic awareness, societal improvement and public engagement.
Every year the Club produces several hundred programs with extensive content that is distributed through online video streams with more than 20 million views, podcasts, a digital magazine, and a weekly national radio broadcast airing on more than 230 public and commercial stations and other platforms. The Commonwealth Club is supported by its 15,000-member base, tens of thousands of annual single ticket buyers, individual donors, and a robust portfolio of corporate/foundation partners.
The featured events programs manager is responsible for the creation, management and implementation of signature public and private programs, both in-person and online. Under the supervision of the vice president of programs and working collaboratively with other members of the programs team, the featured events programs manager will plan and conceptualize issues and topics as well as identify and book high-profile national leaders, corporate CEOs, newsmakers, celebrities and other guests, issue speaker and moderator invitations, conduct follow-up and confirmation, oversee program implementation, and coordinate outreach strategies for individual events. With guidance from the VP, this person will also establish effective relationships with community leaders, partner organizations and guests with national and international reputations and positions. The position requires an individual who can exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication and organizational skills. The candidate needs the ability to work independently on some projects and as a member or leader of a team on other projects.
- · Develops program issues and topics, within the organizational priorities set by the VP of programming, for premier events, thematic series and unique programs with high-profile guests and content.
- · Identifies speakers and moderators, drafts invitations, and recruits speakers and moderators
- • Prepares event announcements, scripts and moderator research for events
- • Serve as the in-person Club representative for speakers at featured events (in-person and online)
- • Represents Club as host and event manager at featured events.
- • Coordinates promotion with marketing team for events including social media and email communications, and the AV team for production requirements for audio, video and online formats
- • Coordinates with facilities, guest services, membership and development teams to ensure smooth and professional program management
- · Ensure that proper records are maintained for speakers and moderator contacts, invitations, media release forms and any other correspondence
- · Ensure professional, accurate and detailed information is shared with speakers and their representatives on program logistics
- · Reviews event descriptions, gathers speaker information and monitors Salesforce patron manager event information
- • Collaborate and oversee interns or volunteers assigned to support the management of programs
- • Provide general support for select high-profile Commonwealth Club events, as needed and at the direction of the vice president of programs
- • Other duties as assigned
Necessary Skills & Qualifications
- • Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- • Cogent and confident speaker
- • Strong organizational, strategic, analytical and project management skills
- • Flexible availability with the ability to attend in-person and virtual programs and functions outside normal business hours
- • Ability to work collaboratively with the leadership team and peers across departments
- • Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, Word and Outlook as well as Google Suite applications
- • Familiarity working with online meeting applications, including Zoom or other similar
- • Experience with a CRM (Salesforce or other) a plus
- • A keen interest in public policy, foreign affairs, cultural and social issues, and stays current news and trends
- • An entrepreneurial spirit and motivation to explore unfamiliar issues and to make new connections
- • A proactive approach to relationship-building
- • Collaborative, communicative and highly accountable
- • Professional demeanor and tactfulness
- • Strong personal initiative, self-motivation and creative problem-solving skills
- • Ability to thrive in a complex and dynamic environment, and to manage competing priorities
- • Sense of humor and spirit of fun
- • Passion for the mission of The Commonwealth Club
Education & Experience
- · Bachelor’s degree in public policy, foreign affairs, journalism, political science or the humanities preferred
- · A minimum of 4 years’ experience in program coordination, live, online or on air programming, or a combination.
- · A background in the arts, culture, or public service a plus.
$65-75k, depending on experience. This is a full-time exempt position with benefits, including paid employee health, vision, dental, life, and AD&D, a generous holiday and time-off policy, and a team full of interesting and warm people to work with. Position is based in San Francisco and involves staffing some events in person and on some evenings.
The Commonwealth Club requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to reasonable accommodation. Candidates will be subject to provide proof of vaccination status upon hire
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume or C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resume review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. To ensure consideration of your application, please apply by August 10, 2022. However, applications may be considered after this deadline until the position is filled.
The Commonwealth Club is committed to the principles of equal opportunity employment and encourages applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, and abilities to apply. A diverse workplace is essential to the work of the Club, and women and people of any gender or gender identification, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.