Development Manager, CliMate One
About Climate One
Climate One is the premier platform to deepen our understanding of the most critical issue of our time: the climate emergency. Through a weekly podcast, national radio show, and live convenings for thought leaders and concerned members of the public, Climate One creates opportunities for dialogue and inspires a more complete understanding of the current crisis.
Founded in 2007 as a live program based at The Commonwealth Club of California, a nonprofit and nonpartisan public forum, Climate One has evolved into a multi-platform thought leader reaching more than 150,000 listeners every week. In response to the pandemic, Climate One pivoted entirely to digital programming, initiating new creative approaches, extending national and international coverage, and growing online audiences. To maximize the unique opportunities inherent in this remarkable time, Climate One expanded its editorial staff and is now poised to enhance the management, marketing and fundraising team to continue building the platform’s impact.
About the Position
Climate One seeks an organized, detail-oriented, and collaborative fundraising professional to support our sustained growth and increased organizational capacity. The development manager will serve as a key partner to the managing director, and will work in collaboration with the marketing and communications team to ensure Climate One’s financial success. The position offers advancement opportunities for entrepreneurial individuals interested in bringing their creativity and passion to expand our donor portfolio.
This is an exempt, part-time (80 percent) position based in San Francisco, with occasional time in the office required for in-person meetings and evening events.
● Fundraising and development:
- Oversee Climate One’s fundraising timeline, ensuring timely donor stewardship communications including outreach, follow up, and reporting
- Draft and review donor stewardship communications such as letters of interest, funding proposals, grant reports
- Partner with managing director and executive producer to develop and implement donor growth and engagement strategy
● Finance and database management:
- Track philanthropic funding (e.g. foundation grants, individual donors, corporate sponsorships) and earned revenue (e.g. podcast advertising, event ticket sales)
- Update Salesforce database with donor activity
- Coordinate with The Commonwealth Club’s development and finance teams to ensure streamlined gift processing and acknowledgment
● Event support:
- Support with set up, greeting, refreshments, and other tasks during Climate One’s live recording programs and donor events
- As needed, pitch in with The Commonwealth Club’s major annual gala and other fundraising activities
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in fundraising and development, preferably at a nonprofit organization
- Demonstrated project management skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks and follow through to completion
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with Salesforce or other CRM platform and spreadsheets
- Fluency in digital productivity and collaboration tools
- Client service mindset, with the ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment
- Basic graphic design skills
- Experience in event design and implementation
- Knowledge about climate, energy, and environment and the related philanthropic sector
Benefits and Compensation
This is a part-time (80 percent), exempt position with a prorated salary range of $62,500–$67,500. The Commonwealth Club of California offers health, dental and vision coverage, as well as life and AD&D insurance for employees, with a 4 percent employer match of the 401(K) plan. Other benefits include a generous holiday and time-off policy, and membership to the YMCA of San Francisco.
Process and Timeline
Please email a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com with the subject line “Development Manager” and include your name in any attachments. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The position will be open until filled.
Candidates who meet qualifications will go through an initial phone screen. Those selected to advance will be asked to complete a short written assignment and will be invited to a one-hour virtual interview with the hiring committee. Finalists will be asked to meet with the executive producer and managing director in person at The Commonwealth Club office.
Inclusion and respect are core values of Climate One from The Commonwealth Club. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a small team that enjoys working together and is treated fairly. We welcome applications from individuals of color, LGBTQ, women, transgender and gender nonconforming people.