INTERIM DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
The Commonwealth Club is the largest and oldest public forum in the United States. Founded in 1903, the Club is a membership organization that hosts daily lectures and panel discussions on issues of public concern. The Club publishes a magazine, hosts a weekly national radio broadcast, produces podcasts and online videos, and is the leader in its field nationally and internationally. The Club is a fast-paced, lively and stimulating environment with nearly 500 programs a year ranging from literature to the economy.
The Commonwealth Club seeks a highly skilled and polished development professional with a track-record of fundraising success and team management experience for a short-term Interim Director of Development position. Reporting to the president & CEO, the Interim Director of Development will help to keep key fundraising activities and initiatives on-track while the Vice President of Development is on maternity leave.
Reports to: President & CEO
Time period: September 2019–February 2020 (exact dates TBD)
Job type: Temporary (to cover the incumbent’s leave)
Essential Job Functions
• Serve as a direct contributor to the team by stepping in where necessary to move key strategic projects forward (soliciting, facilitating fundraising asks, preparing agreements, etc.)
• Work directly with the president and CEO on key strategic fundraising initiatives, including a capital/endowment campaign and new education initiative
• Oversee and collaborate with a team of five experienced development professionals to meet quarterly fundraising benchmarks related to:
- Board Giving
- Corporate and foundation partnership portfolio
- Gala and Special Events
- Individual Giving
- Capital/Endowment Campaign
• Fill in staffing gaps when necessary (e.g. when development staff is out of office on approved vacation or serving as a travel host on Club trips)
• Prepare appropriate development reports for Executive and Finance committee meetings and Board of Governors meetings
• Work with development and accounting departments to ensure accurate gift entry for major gifts and regularly monitor development income/expenses
• Collaborate and coordinate inter-departmentally with peers
Education and Experience Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
• A minimum of five years fundraising experience in diverse capacities (major gifts, special events, corporate sponsorships, etc.)
• Experience managing a team, working with high-level volunteer committees, and C-Suite leaders
• Energy, integrity, and confidence to pick up projects midway and/or to dive into new projects
• Knowledge of Bay Area philanthropic landscape
• Proficiency with donor database software such as Raiser’s Edge is preferred
• Ability to quickly pick up new software and supportive technologies (Trello, Airtable, BBNC, Slack)
San Francisco Waterfront
The Commonwealth Club of California is a nonprofit organization; salary is competitive and based on experience.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and salary expectations to email@example.com with “Interim Director of Development” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.