The Week to Week News Quiz for September 17, 2018
Here are some random but real hints: Enough to buy a Lamborghini Aventador S; are you positive?; that's 95,773,973 Lamborghini Aventador S cars; and actually you can blame someone. Answers are below the quiz.
1. This week, Republican senators Jeff Flake and Bob Corker have both indicated they want to know more about what before voting on it?
a. Trump's planned Space Force
b. A new law enabling the president to bypass Congress with national security actions
c. A Democratic bill to divide California into three separate states
d. Sexual abuse allegations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh
2. Who reportedly got into a physical altercation at a pre-Emmy's party over their connections to President Trump?
a. Julie Louis-Dreyfus and Tomi Lahren
b. Tom Arnold and Mark Burnett
c. Ellen Degeneres and Cindy McCain
d. Patricia Heaton and Cyndi Lauper
3. While North Carolina was still being wrecked by Hurricane Florence, a massive tropical storm was making its way through Southeast Asia. What is its name?
a. Typhoon Mangkhut
b. Cyclone Sari
c. Hurricane Gundam
d. Tropical Depression Tina
4. Last year, the average Wall Street salary hit its highest level since 2008. What was the average salary on Wall Street in 2017?
b. $1.2 million
5. Amazon has instigated an internal investigation after The Wall Street Journal reported what problem?
a. Some Amazon online sellers are paying bribes to Amazon employees to delete bad reviews or share confidential information
b. The average age of employees making Alexa products is 14
c. Amazon priced some products below federal price limits
d. Some private Amazon online sellers were laundering money for overseas rogue governments
6. According to multiple estimates, what would be the cost of the progressive policy plans—including Medicare for all—put forward by Democratic Socialist and congressional candidate Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez?
a. $880 billion over 5 years
b. $2 trillion over 10 years
c. $40 trillion over 10 years
d. $22.5 trillion over 15 years
7. A man named Vontae Davis had a unique way of quitting his job. How did he do it?
a. A manager of a Waffle House in Wilmingon, North Carolina, he quit after being forced to work during the hurricane and seeing his living room furniture float past the restaurant windows; he swam after the couch and floated away
b. He was a cornerback for the Buffalo Bills, and he quit during halftime of Sunday's game, announcing he was retiring
c. He was an award-winning principal in Madison, Wisconsin, but after having his school budget cut by 30 percent, he sold all of the chalkboards on eBay and disappeared with the proceeds
d. The two-term state representative from Michigan filibustered a water infrastructure bill for 9 hours before finally saying, "I'm done" and tweeting his resignation
8. Who is buying Time magazine for $190 million?
a. Amazon billionaire Jeff Bezos
b. Presidential advisor Kellyanne Conway
c. Salesforce billionaire Marc Benioff and his wife
d. CNN founder Ted Turner
9. In a discussion of the death toll from Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico, what did FEMA administrator Brock Long say?
a. "We only counted American citizens, not Puerto Ricans, who died"
b. "Who are we to say when life begins or ends? It's beyond FEMA's capability to answer philosophical questions."
c. "It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit, and the emperor remains an emperor."
d. "The other thing that goes on—there's all kinds of studies on this that we can take a look at—spousal abuse goes through the roof. You can't blame spousal abuse after a disaster on anybody."
1o. On Monday, Nikki Haley, U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, accused Russia of cheating at what?
a. The World Cup
b. Sanctions against North Korea
c. Diplomatic protocol regarding wargame exercises
d. Disclosure of Facebook political advertising
BONUS. What is Coca-Cola considering adding to drinks?
a. A secret toy surprise
c. A cannabis derivative
d. Non-melting ice cubes
2. b (the first episode of Arnold's new series, "The Hunt for the Trump Tapes," focuses on Burnett's show "The Apprentice" and whether tapes exist showing Donald Trump using a racial epithet)
Join us for our next live news quiz and political roundtable.
Explanations of the hints: Enough to buy a Lamborghini Aventador S: which clocks in at about $417,650, MSP, give or take; are you positive?: because a negative review might get hidden; that's 95,773,973 Lamborghini Aventador S cars: it broke our calculator, but multiply the cost of the car and 95,773,973 and you're back to 40 trillion; and actually you can blame someone: most people would blame the person doing the abuse, but that's government logic for ya.