The Week to Week News Quiz for October 19, 2018
Here are some random but real hints: It worked so well last time; the convictions stand, though; left shark, right shark, no shark; and friendly fire. Answers are below the quiz.
1. At least 50 people were killed when a speeding train went through a crowd of people during a religious festival in what country?
2. The Justice Department charged a Russian woman for her alleged role in a $35 million effort to do what?
a. Influence the 2018 midterm elections
b. Bribe U.S. senators
c. Purchase embargoed computer technology
d. Sway congressional opinions about the conflict in Ukraine
3. On Friday, a federal judge dismissed 10 counts against whom?
a. Donald Trump
b. Roger Federer
c. Paul Manafort
d. Diane Sawyer
4. How did singer Rihanna show her support for Colin Kaepernick and his protests of racial injustices?
a. She had his name and jersey number tattooed on her back
b. She turned down an offer to sing in the Super Bowl halftime show
c. She began her recent Chicago concert kneeling while singing the national anthem
d. She is letting him live free in her Hollywood Hills cottage while he looks for a new team
5. On Thursday, who reportedly had a shouting, profanity-laden argument outside the Oval Office?
a. Mike Pence and John Bolton
b. John Kelly and John Bolton
c. Michael Bolton and John Bolton
d. Nikki Haley and John Bolton
6. Former patients of a school gynecologist accused of sexual abuse and the University of Southern California reached a proposed settlement for how much?
a. $11 million
b. $45 million
c. $215 million
d. $700 million
7. What did a radio ad supporting a GOP candidate in Arkansas claim this week?
a. Democrats will lynch black men when "a white girl screams rape"
b. The candidate can literally walk on water
c. It said his Jewish opponent was a Nazi sympathizer
d. Even legal immigrants would be arrested if they showed up to vote
8. A Long Island man was arrested on Friday and charged with making death threats to two members of Congress who did what?
a. Supported Judge Brett Kavanaugh
b. Marched in an annual Irish Pride parade
c. Introduced a bill to raise taxes on the wealthy
d. Spoke in favor of a plan to increase fees for riding the ferry
9. Who did President Trump praise during a rally in Montana?
a. Saudi Arabia's crown prince
b. Senator Bernie Sanders
c. Harry Potter creator J.K. Rowling
d. The GOP congressman who had body slammed a reporter
10. A report from the National Transportation Safety Board said there has been an increase in traffic accidents in what states?
a. States located in the hurricane zone
b. States that have legalized marijuana
c. Democratic-governed states
d. States with lots of roads in disrepair
BONUS. Officials were surprised when mechanics at an Air Force base in Belgium did what?
a. Quit to join ISIS
b. Accidentally blew up an F-16
c. Stole a plane and flew it to Ireland
d. Appeared in a Russian television interview as intelligence agents
BONUS. b (no one was seriously hurt)
Join us for our next live news quiz and political roundtable.
Explanations of the hints: It worked so well last time: the alleged interference was similar to what the Russians did during the 2016 election; the convictions stand, though: the dropped charges were the 10 counts on which the jury deadlocked in his recent trial, where he was convicted on other counts; left shark, right shark, no shark: Rihanna will not be doing the Super Bowl halftime show; and friendly fire: the mechanics accidentally set off the weapons on another plane they were working on and the plane fired on the F-16, destroying it.