Development Assistant, Distinguished Citizens Award Gala (Temporary Position)
The Commonwealth Club seeks a dynamic, efficient, and resourceful assistant to support the Development Department for The Distinguished Citizens Award Gala, the Club’s largest annual fundraising event; the proceeds of which support a quarter of the Club’s operating budget. The Distinguished Citizens Award Gala (DCAG) is a cross-departmental effort that involves the help of many of the Club’s staff. The DCAG development assistant will work closely with the special events manager to assist in the planning and implementation of the event. The DCAG development assistant will assist with basic administrative tasks as assigned by the special event manager, VP of development and/or Commonwealth Club leadership. These duties may include creation and implementation of a promotional marketing campaign for the Gala event, assist with production timelines and run-of-dhow for both in-person and virtual formats, organize information and monitor incoming gifts and sponsorship fulfillment, collect and organize guests lists/RSVP lists, and more.
Marketing and Communications
- • Craft communications for digital marketing campaigns for newsletters, social media and audio ads.
- • Work with the editorial team to schedule and release newsletters, social media posts and audio advertisements.
- • Put together a press kit with press release, artwork, headshots of honorees and assets.
- • Be involved in the preproduction of video content for the Gala (impact video, featurettes, run-of-show).
- • Communicate with honorees to get additional materials and permission to take b-roll to create each featurette.
- • Reach out to vendors, musicians, artists, and any additional service required to produce the in-person component of the gala.
- • Craft and organize additional materials for emcee, Gala committee members and CEO for the day of the event.
Gala Committee Meetings
- • Support special event manager for Gala Committee meetings.
- • Take notes and follow up with Gala Committee members.
- • Craft materials requested by Gala Committee members to support fundraising and outreach efforts.
Special Guests and RSVP
- • Organize guest lists and RSVPs.
- • Reach out to special guests and donors to make sure they have tickets and information.
- • Provide them with any additional information about the Gala.
Sponsorships and donors
- • Support tracking of incoming donations.
- • Track and organize donor and sponsor recognition offered.
- • Track and organize acknowledgement letters.
- • Support with set-up and production needs the day of the event on October 28.
- • Support event production needs during rehearsals and interviews.
- • Support set-up for musicians, entertainment, and artist the day of the Gala.
Necessary Qualifications and Skills
- • Ability to work under pressure and possess effective communications skills.
- • Familiarity with Google Suite and Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, Word and Outlook .
- • Experience with databases and email clients; familiarity with PatronManager, Airtable and Emma a plus
- • Organized, detail-oriented; able to prioritize tasks and manage time effectively.
- • Able to successfully support the execution of a project.
- • Comfortable engaging with a wide range of stakeholders.
- • Responsive and reliable, with strong follow-through and personal accountability for performance.
- • Independent and proactive; able to marshal skills and resources to solve problems successfully.
- • Flexible and energetic; able to thrive in a complex and dynamic environment.
- • Collaborative and communicative.
- • Ability to quickly learn new software and supportive technologies.
- • Bachelor’s degree or 3 years professional experience in events, communications, production management, social science, or related fields.
- • Professional experience with nonprofit fundraising events, gala, or major events.
- • August 1 to September 1: 20 hours/week
- • September 1 to October 1: 20 hours/week
- • October 1 to November 1: 28 hours/week (evening of the Gala October 28)
- • November 1 to December 1: As needed, up to10 hours/week
- • Hourly rate: $25
To apply, please send your resume and a brief cover letter or statement of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org
About The Commonwealth Club
The Commonwealth Club of California is the largest public issues forum in the United States and is a nonpartisan, nonprofit membership organization. It is the leader in its field both nationally and internationally, with a fast-paced, lively and stimulating environment and a range of fascinating and informative people and ideas. The Club hosts daily in-person, online and hybrid programs that include lectures, panel discussions, roundtables and special events on issues of public concern and interest, for both engagement and enrichment. Every year, the Club produces several hundred programs with extensive content that is distributed through online video streams, podcasts, a digital magazine, a weekly local TV show and a weekly national radio broadcast that airs on more than 230 public and commercial stations and other platforms.