The Commonwealth Club Programming Department is looking for several part-time college interns with an interest in event production and public affairs.
The Program Intern duties include
- Assistance in planning and producing live event lectures at Club headquarters in San Francisco, Lafayette and other off-site venues;
- Marketing outreach for upcoming programs to promote ticket sales to community organizations, local papers, meet-up sites, Facebook postings, etc.;
- Greeting guests pre-program and answering their questions about ticketing, etc.;
- Perform background research on possible guests and locate contact information; and
- Draft scripts for upcoming programs and invitations to potential guests.
- Robust interest in current events in the realm of politics, economics, arts, literature, journalism, science, tech and popular trends.
- Great communication skills. Enjoy meeting people from all walks of life.
- Excellent grammar, writing, research and proofreading skills.
- Detail oriented and flexible. Team player, disciplined, reliable and able to meet deadlines.
- Computer skills should include expertise in Word, Excel, Google docs.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Premiere & Photoshop, etc.) desired, but not required.
Downtown San Francisco
Approximately 10-20 hours per week, ideally spread out over three or four days during the semester.
This is an unpaid internship with a small monthly travel stipend. We will help students with paperwork to get college credit.
Exposure to regional, national and international issues and leaders. Great networking opportunities and job skills development. Opportunity to attend Club events free of charge. A fun and engaging work environment.
Please send a cover letter and attach a short non-fiction writing sample and resume (PDF or Word).
Email to jobs [at] commonwealthclub [dot] org with the subject line "Program Intern Candidate – [YOUR NAME]"
About the Club
Based in San Francisco, The Commonwealth Club of California is the nation’s oldest and largest public affairs forum open to all for the impartial discussion of domestic and global issues. Since our founding in 1903, every year we host more than 400 speeches, debates, and discussions on a spectrum of topics, including politics, culture, business, environment, science, technology, arts, society and the economy. For the past 11 decades, we’ve welcomed some of the world’s most important global thought leaders to engage our guests and those accessing our programs from around the world.
The Commonwealth Club of California is a nonprofit, nonpartisan public forum.
Notable speakers have included
Madeleine Albright | David Brooks | George W. Bush | Jimmy Carter | Cesar Chavez | Bill Clinton | Hillary Clinton | Walter Cronkite | The Dalai Lama | Sandra Day O’Connor | Jared Diamond | Dave Eggers | Jonathan Safran Foer | Thomas Friedman | James Franco | Bill Gates | Malcolm Gladwell | Jane Goodall | Mikhail Gorbachev | Audrey Hepburn | Arianna Huffington | Martin Luther King, Jr. | Spike Lee | Rachel Maddow | Willie Mays | Michael Moore | Rita Moreno | Ralph Nader | Bill O’Reilly | Chuck Palahniuk | Michael Pollan | Robert Reich | Condoleeza Rice | Sir Ken Robinson | Franklin D. Roosevelt | Eric Schmidt | Maria Shriver | George Shultz | Sonia Sotomayor | Gloria Steinem | Desmond Tutu | Neil deGrasse Tyson | Lech Walesa | Alice Walker | Alice Waters | Mark Zuckerberg