We are looking for a highly dedicated individual with an interest in writing, editing and public affairs for an editorial internship at The Commonwealth Club of California, located in downtown San Francisco. The intern will contribute to the production of The Club’s award-winning members magazine, The Commonwealth.
The editorial internship allows individuals to participate in all areas of magazine production, with an emphasis on proofing and editing, fact checking and writing. Duties specifically include:
- Writing sidebars for program transcriptions in The Commonwealth magazine
- Writing and fact checking event ad listings for upcoming Club events
- Light administrative tasks
- Copy editing and proofreading magazine, weekly events update and web listings
- If skills and interests match, laying out magazine components within an established template, using Adobe InDesign
- Assisting with radio station outreach
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills
- Ability to type 40+ wpm
- Strong Internet research skills
- Familiarity with using style guides, preferably Associated Press style
- Strong interest in current events
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work effectively on a team
- Familiarity with Macs and MS Word
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign and Acrobat desired, but not required
Approximately 20 hours per week, ideally spread out over three or four days. The position lasts three months, after which time there may be an opportunity for renewal. We are flexible on days and hours.
This is an unpaid internship with a $75 travel stipend per month.
Exposure to regional, national, and international issues and leaders. Unparalleled networking opportunities and job skills development. Opportunity to attend Club events free of charge. A fun and engaging work environment. One year membership to The Commonwealth Club.
Send a cover letter, resume and three nonfiction writing samples or excerpts (preferably journalistic articles) of no more than 500 words. E-mail preferred: Send e-mail with Word or PDF attachments to email@example.com. Please put “Editorial Intern” as the subject header. We will contact you only if you have been selected for an interview. Please do not call. Thank you for your understanding.
About the Club
The Commonwealth Club is a nonprofit, nonpartisan public forum. The mission of The Commonwealth Club of California is to inform, educate and provoke debate on significant issues of public policy. Since its founding in 1903, the Club has carried out this mission more broadly and thoroughly than any other public affairs forum in the United States. This mission is achieved through the presentation of public lectures, debates, and meetings numerous times each week featuring experts and public figures. While based in San Francisco, the Club holds programs throughout the Bay Area. For more information visit www.commonwealthclub.org.