Member & Guest Services Coordinator
Title: Member & Guest Services Coordinator (exempt position)
The Commonwealth Club is the nation's leading public affairs forum. Founded in San Francisco in 1903, we are a member-supported, nonprofit, nonpartisan organization comprised of over 20,000 members. Every year 50,000 people attend our 450 live events and our recorded programs go out to more than 200 radio stations nationwide and are streamed online more than a million times annually. The Commonwealth Club is held in high regard by many of the finest individuals in the Bay Area and throughout the United States.
The Commonwealth Club is a unique organization, and working here is unlike any other job. Our Member and Guest Services Team members are the central interface between this historic organization and the tens of thousands of individuals who interact with the Club. We deliver outstanding service and ensure exceptional experiences for our members and guests.
This position is the lead for the Club’s front desk team which is the Coordinator and two Associates. As the lead you are answering phones and email, promoting and selling tickets and membership, and guiding the Associates to do the same. The front desk team also staffs 450 events annually to facilitate event operations; welcome, direct, and check-in attendees; answer questions; promote and sell Club events and membership; and generally move between various roles and positions to help address all the logistics related to the event. The Coordinator works strategically with the Director of Member and Guest Services to coordinate department operations. The Coordinator schedules, supervises and coaches associates and an extensive cadre of volunteers, administers the ticketing system, manages advanced logistics for special events, and produces special members events like socials. The Coordinator will make extensive use of a computer and become very proficient in our database (The Raiser’s Edge) and our online system (Blackbaud NetCommunity) and use it to send mass email and routinely read, interpret, record and report key performance indicators. This position requires balancing a high-volume, fast-paced work flow and juggling a variety of disparate responsibilities with poise and patience in order to be successful and meet the standard of service that elevates the organization’s reputation and the experiences of our members, guests, teammates and colleagues.
- Act with integrity, honesty, and knowledge that promote the culture, values, and mission of The Commonwealth Club.
- Maintain a calm demeanor during periods of high volume or unusual events.
- Anticipate the needs of members, guest, teammates and colleagues by constantly evaluating the environment and those individuals for cues.
- Deliver outstanding service to all members, guests, teammates, and colleagues.
- Execute sales and process other data-centric tasks with a very high standard of quality.
- Approach job functions and teammates with flexibility to facilitate the department rapidly adjusting to meet a wide range of competing priorities.
We are most interested in candidates that have customer service and supervisory experience and can describe experience in environments requiring them to adapt quickly to shifting priorities and perform many different work functions throughout a workday.
Leadership skills, good judgment and decision making, flexibility and being very computer proficient will be fundamental to the successful candidate.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to learn quickly
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions and request clarification when needed
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Enhance a team by working constructively with those both above and below them
- Ability to both see the big picture in situations and identify priorities and yet frequently be very detail oriented as specific responsibilities require it
- Adapt constructively to rapidly changing dynamics and priorities
- Computer proficiency required in Microsoft Windows, Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint, Google Drive, and the internet. You’ll also be required to become very proficient in our online ticketing system (Eventbrite), and our database (The Raiser’s Edge).
Your workday will consist of a variety of extended periods sitting at a desk using a computer and a phone. During events, of which there can be two sessions per day, you will be either up and down repeatedly or on your feet consistently for an extended period while staffing the event.
Attendance & Schedule Requirements
Very regular attendance and punctuality are required and are a crucial part of the position. It is important that you have no trouble meeting these requirements in order to be successful in this position.
The schedule requirements for this position are unique. Your daily schedule is largely determined by varying event schedules and will fluctuate.
- Most Mondays through Thursdays you’ll work 10 a.m - 7 p.m. with a mid afternoon lunch.
- Fridays you will usually work 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- You will occasionally need to stay late to accommodate varying event logistics.
- On very rare occasion a Friday night or a weekend shift will be required to staff an event.
- While we usually provide some significant time off during the year end holiday season, occasional shifts will be required during this season, likely working one or two days each week of a holiday week.
Salary: $40,000 per year. Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance and three weeks of vacation.
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume and three or more references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “MGS Coordinator” in the subject line.