The Commonwealth Blog
Egypt Today and Yesterday: American Involvement
While you follow coverage of minute-by-minute happenings in Egypt and elsewhere in the Middle East, where longstanding authoritarian governments are being rocked by mass street protests, we offer some background in the form of history of American involvement in the Middle East.
- Audio of then-ambassador of Egypt to the United States Nabil Fahmy's February 21, 2006, program at The Commonwealth Club of California: "U.S.-Egypt Relations"
- In 2007, Michael Oren discussed "America and the Middle East"; watch the video.
- Jordanian diplomat Marwan Muasher spoke at The Club in 2008 on the need for moderates in the Middle East; watch the video.
- Syrian ambassador to the United States Imad Moustapha addressed U.S.-Arab engagement in the Middle East at a 2007 Club program; watch the video.
- Read the speech of Jordanian King Abdullah II, who accepted Inforum's 21st Century award on April 16, 2004.