Member & Guest Services Associate
Position Title: Member & Guest Services Associate (exempt position)
The Commonwealth Club is the nation's leading public affairs forum. Founded in 1903, we are a member-supported nonprofit, nonpartisan organization comprised of more than 20,000 members. Every year 50,000 people attend our 450 live events. Our recorded programs go out to more than 200 radio stations nationwide and are downloaded online more than a million times annually.
The Commonwealth Club is held in high regard by many of the finest individuals in the Bay Area and throughout the United States. The Commonwealth Club is a unique organization, and working here is unlike any other job. Our Member and Guest Services Team members are the central interface between this historic
organization and the tens of thousands of individuals who interact with the Club. We deliver outstanding service and ensure exceptional experiences for our members and guests.
As a Member and Guest Services Associate, your most essential roles are to serve members and guests and promote and sell Club membership and tickets. You will staff the front desk at the Club’s headquarters, providing the vital first interaction and all primary services to Club constituents, answering phones and email, and receiving visitors. Your workspace will be in an open and high-traffic environment, but your work will require you to concentrate in that environment to handle phones and email and interact with visitors. You will have to balance a highvolume, fastpaced work flow and juggle a variety of disparate responsibilities with poise and patience in order to be successful and meet the standard of service that elevates the organization’s reputation and the experiences of our members, guests, teammates and colleagues.
You’ll make extensive use of a computer to navigate websites, online forms, and work in a database (The Raiser’s Edge). As part of a team with schedules staggered to meet fluctuating demand, you will occasionally work alone, and often with others, to accomplish tasks. During daily Club events, you will facilitate event operations? welcome, direct, and check in attendees? answer questions? promote and sell Club events and membership? and generally move between various roles and positions to help address all the logistics related to the event.
- Act with integrity, honesty, and knowledge that promote the culture, values, and mission of The Commonwealth Club.
- Maintain a calm demeanor during periods of high volume or unusual events.
- Anticipate the needs of members, guest, teammates and colleagues by constantly evaluating the environment and those individuals for cues.
- Deliver outstanding service to all members, guests, teammates and colleagues.
- Execute sales and process other datacentric tasks with a very high standard of quality.
- Approach job functions and teammates with flexibility to facilitate the department rapidly adjusting to meet a wide range of competing priorities.
We are most interested in candidates who have sales and customer service experience and can describe experience in environments requiring them to adapt quickly to shifting priorities and perform many different work functions during a workday.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong sales skills
- Ability to learn quickly
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions and request clarification when needed
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to be detailoriented where specific tasks require it
- Adapt constructively to rapidly changing dynamics and priorities
- Computer proficiency required in Microsoft Windows, Outlook and navigating the internet. You’ll also be required to become very proficient in our online ticketing system (Eventbrite), and our database (The Raiser’s Edge).
Your workday will consist of a variety of extended periods sitting at a desk using a computer and a phone. During events, of which there can be two sessions per day, you will be either up and down repeatedly or on your feet consistently for an extended period while staffing the event.
Attendance & Schedule Requirements
Very regular attendance and punctuality are required and are a crucial part of the position. It is important that you have no trouble meeting these requirements in order to be successful in this position.
The schedule requirements for this position are unique. Your daily schedule is largely determined by varying event schedules and will fluctuate.
- Most Mondays through Thursdays you’ll work 11 a.m.—8 p.m. with a mid-afternoon lunch.
- Fridays you will usually work 9 a.m.—6 p.m.
- You will occasionally need to stay late to accommodate varying event logistics.
- On very rare occasion, a Friday night or a weekend shift will be required to staff an event.
- Though we usually provide some significant time off during the year-end holiday season, occasional shifts will be required during this season, likely working one or two days each week of a holiday week.
Salary: $31,200 per year. Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance and three weeks of vacation.
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume and three or more references to jobs [at] commonwealthclub [dot] org with “MGS Associate” in the subject line.